Tips on How to Build a Cinder Block House from a Fortress Home Expert
Before we get into the process of building a cinder block house, it is helpful to clarify some of the related terms you might hear while asking yourself a question "How to build a cinder block house?".
A concrete block used in concrete masonry is called a concrete masonry unit (CMU) and these typically come in standard shapes and sizes. A cinder block is a particular and common type of low density CMU made from cinders such as fly ash or bottom ash. In cinder block construction, the cinder blocks are laid in courses (layers) on top of each other, joined together by mortar.
Advantages of cinder block construction
Cinder block masonry has become one of the most popular methods of construction around the world. This is because, compared to different materials, building a block house from a medium such as cinder blocks offers the following advantages:
- Concrete blocks are relatively low cost and versatile
- Concrete blocks are durable and strong enough to maintain structural integrity
- Houses constructed of concrete blocks are relatively fire-resistant and soundproof
- Concrete blocks are readily available in most places
- A concrete block wall can be insulated relatively easily — such as using rigid foam board insulation to reduce heat transfer and keep your cinder block house warm in winter or keep the house cool in summer.
Given all these advantages and the fact that concrete blocks are easier and faster to lay than brick, it is no wonder that cinder block houses and other types of concrete block homes are so popular.
So, with all these benefits in mind, let's move on to the basics of how to build a house with concrete blocks.
How to build a concrete block house step by step
In this article, we give a simplified description of how to build a concrete house step by step to give you a better idea of what is involved in a project to build a block house.
Naturally, the exact process might differ a bit depending on the specifics of the house to be built, but reading these steps will give you an overall picture of the construction process for cinder block houses.
Looking for experienced home builders? Fortress Home has been in the residential construction business for over 20 years.