What it takes to be great American home builders
At Fortress Homes we've been building homes and dreams in Chicago for over 20 years and we think we know what it takes to be Americas best home builders. So when you want to find the best builders in your area here are some things you should look for.
Whether you're looking for a remodel, a home addition, to buy a new home, or to build a custom house or commercial building, rather than looking for the largest national home builders or the best home builders in USA you should think about who you really want to work with. Local knowledge is key, as is real human interaction with the people you're working with.
What are your options?
The first thing you should do when looking for the right builders for you is to draw up a shortlist of companies you're interested in. You can do this by speaking to neighbours or local homeowners associations and looking in the real estate section of your local paper. Ask for recommendations of American house builders people have previously worked with. Ideally you want to consider a few options to get a clear idea of the local market. Make sure you list house builders who have experience with the type of property you're looking for and who are in your general price range.
Who are you working with?
While it may seem a cliché, would you rather work with the largest home builders, who are probably a large faceless corporation, or a family business where everyone knows you by name? You will get a house built either way but working with a small or medium sized family business there is a level of trust and investment in the local community that money can't buy.
Also, if you're working with the largest US home builders it's very unlikely that you'll ever meet the people in charge, but if you work with regional or local major home builders, like Fortress Home, you'll be working directly with the company owners, ensuring you receive the best service and most tailored experience.
The best way to decide if you want to work with a particular builder is to interview them to understand if they are the right company for your project.
Questions to ask a builder
- Check how they manage budgets and get an estimate for your project.
- What are the likely timescales for your build? How long will it take?
- Can you get references from their existing customers?
- Do they offer custom design and construction services? Or are you obligated to take their standard builders house plans and prices?
- Do they offer set packages for appliances and fittings or are custom options available?
- Do they give you a warranty? For how long and what does it cover?
- Do they include landscaping in the price? What else is included?
- Can they estimate the taxes for the property?
- Are there any restrictive covenants in place?
When comparing builders and their quotes, remember cheaper is usually not better. When building a house you don't want to be cutting corners. If you speak to several different contractors their estimates should be fairly close, and if one quote is substantially cheaper, ask yourself why.