Your Dream Chicago Construction Project: How to Make it True
There are just a few cities in the world where the construction industry is as developed as in Chicago, Illinois. And definitely, a rare city can be proud of such a mesmerizing engineering history! This has a downside too: if you are not a professional, it is very hard to choose the best contractors (or subcontractors) for your project — there are too many on the market!
In order to choose the best Chicago construction companies, you have to know the basics of the industry.
Fortress Home has created this article to provide you with all the knowledge you need. If you need additional information, give us a call at 773-770-8607.
Our company has been on the market for more than 20 years — and our specialists know most of Chicago's buildings and housing projects. There are hundreds of development and building examples in our portfolio and we will provide you with the best possible solutions.
Chicago construction: a brief history
Chicago is an American construction marvel: after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 the city has been completely rebuilt — and because of scarcity and high prices of land wooden buildings were replaced by skyscrapers. Constructed of iron, stone, and steel, they stood proud and set the tone for the future development of the country's metropolitan areas.
The Home Insurance Building, erected on the crossing of LaSalle and Adams streets in 1885, has become the archetype of a modern skyscraper. The first-ever used steel frame allowed the height and the stability of the structure. And the famous "common brick", produced in the area from clay, has set the ground of solid Chicago's masonry traditions. In order to build skyscrapers, steel production facilities were established in and around the city.
These factors, kickstarted by The Great Chicago Fire, were the reason for the industry's success. Today this city concentrates the best builders, masons, and steel manufacturers in the country — and maybe in the whole world.
5 main construction services you can get today in Chicago, Illinois
- Development of new real estate. Developers buy the raw land, "develop" the site (prepare for construction), get all the needed permits — and then build and sell the real estate. Often the company offers maintenance of the completed project, too
- Building projects of a different scale — from large commercial to tiny residential. The difference between the builders and the developers? The latter owns the land, the builders come on-site, often with their subcontractors, to finish the project and start the new one.
- Masonry. This is a construction business subdivision that can belong to both — a developer or a builder. Usually, a masonry contractor is a company that specializes specifically in brickwork and possesses all the needed knowledge and resources to provide masonry construction services.
- Repair or reconstruction of the real estate. Besides the building services provided by contractors, you can opt specifically for remodeling companies in case your house or a commercial building needs repair, remodeling, or reconstruction.
- Demolition of the old buildings. It is often impossible to complete a new project without demolishing the old one. This branch of the construction business (or, should we say deconstruction?) possesses all the needed tools and gets permits specifically for this job — so it makes total sense to hire these guys for a demolishing operation of any difficulty.